Wednesday, March 26, 2014

My Fitness Pal VS. Weight Watchers

I have dieted a lot in my life. All the other times in my past I logged my calories both with a site called my-calorie-counter.com and myfitnesspal.com . I on a whim decided to try Weight watchers I honestly can't even remember why I decided to try it maybe a pin I saw about it or something. But anyway, I am used to tracking my food and I find that it is the only way to keep myself on track while watching what I eat and trying to lose weight. 

I signed up for another month of weight watchers in February, and I think that only lasted 2 weeks. I was a little burned out on it I guess, and quite frankly I didn't want to pay $18.95 for logging my food. So I found an app on google play that was $1.99 that is supposed to be like the weight watchers app and log your food just like weight watchers. Well, let me tell you this is not the case. If you follow these apps or sites that say they are the same as weight watchers they are not. There are so many things on there that were really wrong on the points value. Being one weight watchers for 4 months really allowed me to learn the points on a lot of items, and these were not correct. This makes it hard to properly understand your eating habits and if you are eating the correct amount.  


So I stopped using this app and I decided to try myfitnesspal. I have used it before like I said and it is very easy. It is free to use and they have an app that you can log on your smartphone. Win! 

It has been over a month now and I would have to say that I am very pleased with myfitnesspal. You can add friends and use them as encouragement, or go to the community and ask questions. I don't really use these features though, I just get on and track. 

I would say that logging food is very easy and user friendly. I often found that while using weight watchers I had to add a lot of my own foods that took a lot of time, where as Myfitnesspal has a ton of foods in their database in the brands that I use such as Kroger, and Aldi brands. This really saves me time and makes it more likely to track. 
 One of the biggest things that I like on Myfitnesspal vs. weight watchers is that you can see all the specs of your food. Weight watchers just shows you your points and you don't know the sugar, protein, carb, sodium, and fat content that you really need to know to be able to find out what foods work for you as far as weight loss and which ones don't. It is quite an eye opener to see you went over on sodium this day by 1000 mg or something like that, where as with weight watchers you can eat as much sugar or sodium as you want as long as you don't go over your points. With that, as far as weight watchers goes, you can pretty much eat anything as long as you are within your points, which I suppose you can as well with myfitnesspal but they also give you goals day as far as protein, fat, sodium, sugar etc, and that way you are more balanced in your diet. I see a lot of people on instagram who are on weight watchers and they are eating chicken nuggets from McDonald's for 8pp, and in reality, that is so bad for you that even though it is only 8 pp, you really should not be eating it.  
That being said, the flexibility weight watchers was what ultimately got me to participate. I liked the fact that I didn't feel like I had to be deprived and I didn't have to stop eating foods I liked. But I also know quite a bit about food and nutrition and eating healthy and I know what is good for me and what is bad (whether I do it for not is a different story!)

The exercise logging is about the same as weight watchers. I do workout videos and I don't have a heart rate monitor to track how many calories I burn, so I just guess and I don't really know how many calories I burn. I just honestly don't exercise enough to justify buying one right now, but I am not opposed to it in the future if I ever become a gym rat (don't hold your breath!) 

All in all if I had to do it differently, I would have done Weight Watchers to start off with for sure. It was a great transition into weight loss and I had great success on it. It is literally the only weight loss plan I have ever stuck to for more than a few weeks. And I know that a lot of it was the flexibility that it allowed me. But for me now in this phase of my weight loss I want to try to eat leaner, eat cleaner, and get more focused on being healthy more than just eating a certain amount of points even if it's ice cream or pasta. 

I recommend myfitnesspal to people who really want to understand their eating better. I have been logging with myfitnesspal for 37 days straight and since starting, I have lost a total of 8 pounds (my official weigh in is tomorrow ) So I believe that is a big weight loss!

If you have any questions please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment