Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Reasons I have failed at diets in the past

I have been on many diets since I have had the boys. If you have followed The Corral Connection then you have read about various tries in the past. I have never been able to stick with any "diet" for more than about 3 weeks. I go hard the first week or two and then start to feel deprived and end up giving up. Here are some of the reasons I believe I have failed at dieting in the past:

Lack of willpower:
I don't have a lot of self control and if people around me are eating bad I feel like I want to do it too. Even if I know I am not supposed to eat it on my diet or I know that it is so bad for me. 

Lack of Motivation: 
I have always wanted to lose weight. Every time I have tried obviously that was the driving force, but If I would get on the scale in the morning and not see it move at all, then I would be discouraged the whole day and most of the time end up eating something I shouldn't have because I felt like that I was doing wasn't working anyway. 

The right mindset: 
I was in more of a race to see how much weight I could lose ASAP and not realizing that it is a gradual process. I wanted to lose the weight, NOW not wait months for it to happen. The reality is that is a very unrealistic expectation. 

Lack of Support: 

I have an amazing husband who supports me in EVERYTHING I do. I am lucky in that. But when it comes to dieting he knows it is a touchy subject. He never ever says anything negative to me about my weight and so it is hard to get any sort of "support" from him on dieting because I think he is scared if he says the wrong thing he will offend me so he just tells me to do what I want to do and doesn't give much input. He tells me he would love me at any weight no matter what, which is sweet, but it is also a cop out for me to say "oh well, my husband doesn't care that I'm overweight...may as well give up!" 

Lack of knowledge: 
I feel like in the world of weight loss there are a lot of questions. You want to make sure you are eating enough to sustain yourself without eating too much that you don't lose weight. Do you eat back your calories from exercise? Do you count calories or fat? How many carbs should I eat and what time of day? Clean eating...whole other story with lots more to it. There is so much and it can be overwhelming and scary and sometimes would make me want to turn around and run away. 

Good 'ol fashioned denial:
I think part of me was in denial about how bad it really was. I would feel bad about myself but I think I just didn't want to believe that being a little overweight was THAT bad. I remember once just saying screw it, I'm just going to buy bigger clothes that cover myself better and get over it! The WRONG way to deal with it. 

Why I think I will succeed this time? Why is this time any different? I feel like I have gotten to a point where I have realized I don't want to go back. I am in a size 14/16 depending on brands, and a size xl-plus or plus size 1x depending on brand. I am right on the cusp of being PLUS sized and that scares me. Before I always felt like "oh I'm not there yet, when it get there I will worry about it". Well I'm there now, and I don't want to be.

I understand that it isn't going to happen overnight.I am not going to obsess about every meal, and talk about it all the time. I am not going to let weight loss rule my life or my thoughts. It is very tough to do this but it is what is going to be key for me. I will have to find a balance between living life and weight loss. 

I will not get discouraged it I have a cheat meal, don't work out, or don't see the scale move. I will understand that this is a journey not a sprint. Weight watchers tells you to understand that weight watchers isn't a diet it is a lifestyle change. Don't treat weight watchers like a diet and you will be more successful. I am going to aim for that.



No comments:

Post a Comment